Sunday 24 April 2016

The Frog and the Nightingale

Question-answer

(a) How did the creatures of Bingle bog react to the nightingale's singing?

Ans.
 The creatures of Bingle Bog applauded the nightingale’s songs. In fact, they Animals and birds, from far and wide, came to hear her sing her melodious songs.

(b) Which are the different ways in which the frog asserts his importance?

Ans. The frog asserts his importance by being authoritative, territorial and imposing. He pretended to be a great singer and he also said that he was the reporter of Bog ‘Trumpet’. He boasted that he was a music critic and a musician like Mozart and was ready to train her.

(c) Why is the frog's joy both sweet and bitter?


Ans. The joy of the frog was sweet as so many people came to attend her concert. and he could  earn a lot of money. However, it was bitter as he was  jealous of the nightingale’s talent and popularity.

(d) Why was the frog angry?

Ans The frog was angry because the nightingale’s song had become dull and it no longer inspired the audience. This had suddenly crashed the income of frog making him angry.

(e) How did the frog become the unrivalled king of the bog again?

Ans.
In a bid to make the frog and her audience happy, the nightingale overexerted herself  , burst a vein and died. As there were no singer in the bog , the frog became the unrivalled king of the bog.

Page No: 95 


11. Discuss the following questions and write the answers in your note-books.

(a) Bring out the irony in the frog's statement - 'Your song must be your own'.

Ans.
Irony is a literary device which means the expression of one's meaning by saying something which is the direct opposite of one's thoughts.
 Earlier the frog tells the nightingale that she should not boast about her original song but later on he finds fault in the nightingale by saying that one’s song must be one’s own.

(b) Do you think the end is justified?

Ans.  The end faced by the innocent nightingale is pitiful yet justified. It portrays the truth where evil people have an upper-hand over the innocent ones. Thus, it is natural that the ‘innocence’ of the nightingale is killed by the ‘cruel and crafty designs’ of evil  symbolised by the frog.

(c)  Do you think the nightingale is 'brainless'? Give reasons for your answer.


Ans.


No, I don't think the nightingale is brainless. Being simple, innocent and shy does not  mean foolish. She wanted to be a successful singer. So, she accepted the frog's advice of giving her vocal training. Her only fault was that she lacked confidence and could be influenced easily.

(d) Inspite of having a melodious voice and being a crowd puller, the nightingale turns out to be a loser and dies. How far is she responsible for her own downfall? 

Ans.  The nightingale is, herself, responsible for her own downfall. She doesn't use her capability to judge and evaluate sweet-tongued people. That is why she is exploited and killed by the evil designs of the frog who ploys her to her death.

(e) Do you agree with the Frog's inference of the Nightingale's character? Give reasons for your answer.


Ans.
  Yes, I agree with the frog’s notion of the Nightingale’s character. Being flattered and submissive and timid, she invited her own death upon herself. She should have been able to see through the frog’s plots and behaved accordingly. However, her innocence didn't allow her to evaluate the frog’s tricks.

14. Write an obituary for the nightingale. You may begin like this: May the kind soul……… (or you may make use of your own beginning)

Answer  (just read it, you don’t have to do it in your notebook)
May the kind 
and innocent soul of the Nightingale rest in peace! The nightingale was very innocent, timid, simple and compassionate. She was the symbol of human
  values. She was very virtuous. Her absence among us can be felt all the time. She bore evil towards none but had to pay the price of being innocent, submissive, simple-hearted and credulous. The death of the Nightingale teaches us that one must look out and be vigilant against sweet-tongued people, who turn friendly instantly. We must all learn something from the sacrifice of the Nightingale. We must shun the people having the qualities of the frog.

13. The nightingale has scaled the heights of success. But now the audience is dwindling, the frog is unhappy and reprimands her all the time. She is mentally and physically exhausted and fears failure. As the nightingale, write a diary entry highlighting her fears and analyzing the reasons for her failure.

21st April
Monday

I still remember the time when the bog creatures were pleasantly surprised to hear my soothing, sweet and divine voice. Everyone admired my song. My song was such a hit that the creatures requested me to sing again and again. But the great days passed too soon.
Now they are no longer interested in my song. Constant singing has damaged my vocal chords. I cannot sing melodiously as my voice has got hoarse. I am surprised and sad at the indifferent attitude of the bog creatures. Even my master frog is annoyed with me and scolds me all the time. He keeps on reminding me that my song lacks a certain force and my singing is full of errors. Am I not a good singer? Will I ever be able to sing well? Perhaps not. because my song has lost its spontaneity and originality. The audience who used to applaud my song are now losing interest and withdrawing. The frog constantly reprimands me because the total collection of money from the sale of tickets to my concert has fallen sharply. How will I pay the sixty shilling- the remaining fee for the training? I am mentally and physically exhausted. I shudder at the mere thought of being a failure where once I was applauded for my singing.
Oh God! Please help me
Nightingale 

No comments:

Post a Comment